Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My house has been invaded.


Of all the luck. You know, I used to think moths weren't half bad. Thought it was cute when Ali said, "Moth! Moth! Catch it mama!!" Yep. That was until they invaded my kitchen like THE PLAGUE. Let me warn all of you that if you see one tiny innocent moth on your wall -- he carries with him the power to make your life miserable. In other words: KILL IT FAST!! Here is the story:

It all began one sunny day when I was pregnant with Jonathan. The midwife we were seeing (Salem Clinic at that time before we decided we wanted to have the baby in Silverton and switched to Salem Nurse-Midwives) advised us that taking flax oil pills was good -- but buying pure flax and putting it in my food would be even better!! You see, studies show that flax oil (omego fatty acids) will boost your childs brain power if you take it while pregnant. Sounded like a good idea to us, so we went to Roths for the brain boosting flax. Well.. it was MUCH cheaper to buy the stuff bulk, so we grabbed a plastic bagged, filled her up, twisty tied it, brought it home... and promptly lost it behind our toaster and continued to take the more convenient pills. OK! Now, fast forward A YEAR. We start to notice that the one cute little "MAMMA CATCH IT CATCH IT" moth is now 10 cute little moths. Ok, no problem we think.. we just got a new security door -- the little buggers are sneaking in through the cracks attracted to the light. We moosh them (which is really messy business and sucks to get off walls btw) and think nothing of it.. until the 10 moths keep reappearing. I'll never forget the prolific comment my mom made when she came to visit one day, "Oh, you have moths.. better be careful".. thanks Mom. You didn't SAY "Better be careful because those little moths start out as NASTY WHITE WORMS and will get in to EVERYTHING you own!!" That might have gotten my attention. But I digress..

So finally I start clawing my way out of denial and realize I have a bit of a bug problem. Sooo.. I start to dig around to find out where they are coming from. Now.. my denial was not only in the fact that we had a problem.. but a big part of my denial was that moths don't begin life as moths. No folks.. those nasty white worms I mentioned above.. yes, lets call it what they REALLY are.. MAGGOTS!! *GAG*.. So anyways.. I'm digging and I see the corner of a plastic bag sticking out from behind the microwave.. HEY!! What's this?? My forgotten bag of brain-boosting flax!! (sorry Jonathan).. only now it is not a bag of flax!! Oh no no... now it is a wiggling mass of little white MAGGOTS!!!!!!! Soooooo... I of course dispose of the bag and promptly call Matt to share my woes.. he is pretty grossed out (he has had a thing about maggots since a meat incedent, but thats a story for another day). We both heave a big sigh of relief because we found the source of our little bugs -- problem solved. HA! Yet again I was soooo naive.

A couple days go by.. and I notice more moths appearing in my kitchen. Hmm.. thats odd I think. I decide to poke around some more. Apparently my little visitors are called "grain moths". They found their way into more then just my flax. They found my cereal, my pasta, my oatmeal, Matt's dark chocolate.. they found pretty much everything. That's right folks, I found little friggin nasty worms in my food. I REFUSE to think about how long they had been camping out in our stuff.. but they were there. And this realization brought on World War 3 in my house. About 5 fully loaded trash bags of "food", lots of elbow grease, moth traps, cedar balls, and countless dish washer cycles later... I think I might have won the war. I hesitate to be too confident, but if they are still there I might just have to call a professional.. or buy a new house. Would that be too extreme? :)

If you have stuck with me through all of that.. I'm sincerely sorry. But let it be a learning moment for you -- Moth's are the enemy. LOL. Keep your fly-swatters close and your dried goods sealed up tight. I NEVER want to go through this again. In fact -- I now know what I want for Christmas.. some kind of food storage containers or food saver.. or SOMETHING that seals out EVERYTHING. That's right, no more rolling up the bag of chips and setting it on the counter. I used to think other people were silly when they emptied their chips or cereal into baggies or an airtight containers -- they were the smart ones. Aaaaaaaanyways. I will update you on the moth saga, hopefully it is over. My kitchen has never been so clean. Hahaha... Good night!!!

<3

2 comments:

Bon Bon said...

That is the beauty of Tupperware! Let me know if you want to get some because I know someone who sells it. =) Not me anymore but that is why I have a TON of TW in my house. My kitchen burps when you open a cupboard. =)

Laura said...

Oh, April...that is awful!!! My skin is crawling just thinking about it, ugh! Yeah I think I would have been leaning towards a new house!

 
template by suckmylolly.com