Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fireworks, shrinky dinks, and fostering fears...Moo.

The 4th of July was nice. The kids went with Grandma and Grandpa to Enchanted Forest for the day. Matt and I watched "The Walking Dead". It was an interesting series because although it was about the zombie apocalypse...it was the first zombie show I have seen where they showed some humanity. Remembering the zombies were people once and sort of gave some of the zombies back story. Different perspective. And if you haven't seen it I am by no means telling you it is all fluff..nononono.. plenty of gore and ick..but there are time outs from that here and there. Ok, off my zombie rant.. after we watched the series the kids arrived home (good timing haha) and we headed over to the other Grandparents house. We were assigned to bring deviled eggs and Asian slaw.. they had spare ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade tater salad, chips, baked beans, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc etc... getting the picture? We could have fed the entire neighborhood. It was great as always. Papa came over to enjoy dinner with us and it was nice to have him there. After dinner we had two separate buckets of fireworks - day time and night time.

Alissa was totally thrilled that this year her daddy deemed her old enough to hold the punk and light some fireworks.
Here she is running for her life after lighting a firework. HAhahaha

 Bethany had a blast as always. We are really blessed to have Beth in our lives.. such a sweet soul.


 Jonathan was happy because he got to hang with his buddy Andrew. Andrew is only a couple weeks older than Jon and lives right next to Grandma Davis. We got home at around 10:30 and everyone was pooped. It was a great 4th!

In other news.. yesterday was our Grand Vines opening for our bovine themed photos. Matt and I got to show up for a little while and say hi but had our foster parenting class so had to leave fairly soon.

My talented mother made these cool shrinky dink name tags. If you have never played with shrinky dinks..do it. And here is Matt with Elvis and Priscilla.. The Little Red House was in a different location.. didn't fit with these two fun loving cows. The Little Red House is actually a very disturbing picture.. to me anyhow. But it made the statement it was meant to make.
I might write about The Little Red House and post it another time..
After the Grand Vines we went to our fostering class #2. At one point during the class Matt looked at me with concern and stated, "Not sure you are cut out for this." And what an accurate statement THAT was. I had an idea this would be hard.. but boy was I underestimating it. I will get through these classes. I have to. I already have learned enough where I feel I will be a better parent.. more able to meet and recognize the needs of my own kids. The part that is killing me is I want so badly to help these poor kids and hearing the things that people..no parents..do to their own kids is making me sick. Like physically ill.. the part that makes it the worse is I feel so powerless. I would in a heartbeat adopt them all.. take them in.. love them. And all they want is their parents love and attention. I better stop here or I could go on and on and on. I am afraid for humanity, lets just leave it there. And am I cut out for this? I am seriously questioning that now. But I will hang in there until the end and see where this takes me.

I think that's it for now.  Oh! I also changed the comments settings so you can leave a comment even if you don't have an account. So if you have something to say, well.. go ahead. Make my day. (Hear the Clint? Ya, I was impressed too)

Until next time...

5 comments:

Carey Dawn said...

MOOO! hehe love readin your blog and pics. if i ever reproduce i'll have to drive cross country and get you to take pictures of him/her!

Lisa said...

so this has nothing to do with the posting, but I thought that gotees weren't allowed at the jail (I could be wrong though), did they change the rule? Matt looks so different in the picture with the facial hair!

April said...

Lisa.. they did change the policy recently. I was a happy wife! =)

Lisa said...

okay, I was at the Marion County Fair tonight and saw a lot of gotees so I figured they must have! Its about time!

Laura said...

Oh, Asian slaw...drool! P.S. I don't think I ever got that recipe from you, hint hint ;)

Awww, makes me sad...I think next year maybe we'll try to make it to your 4th celebration! =)

The kids' swim teacher reminds me SO much of Bethany...it's almost like I get to see her twice a week =)

Here's another YOU. CAN. DO. IT! for ya ;) You can get through it. I agree though. I've been hearing about more than I care to know about since hubs started med school, and I am almost always physically ill thinking about it. Oops...just thought about one....yeesh, I'm still cringing and yup, now the eyes are filling with tears. Ok, I am going now....

 
template by suckmylolly.com